MSc, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
September 2001 to December 2003
Supervisor: Dr. J. R. Mitchell
Honours BSc, Applied Mathematics and Geophysics
University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
September 1996 to April 2001
Certificate In University Teaching
I have obtained my Certificate in University Teaching, through the Centre for Teaching Excellence at the University of Waterloo. There are three courses that I completed through this program: Graduate Studies (GS) 901, GS 902, and GS 903.
Graduate Studies 901
This course involved attending a series of workshops on pedagogical subjects in the context of undergraduate education. I submitted reflective response papers for six (more than the required four) of the workshops on how the knowledge I gained could be applied in my area of teaching.
Below is a list of CTE workshops I attended that were related to my certificate.
- Consultation Workshop: Teaching Dossiers, March 28, 2008
- CVs and Cover Letters, March 11, 2008
- Dealing with Classroom Disruptions, March 5, 2008
- Teaching Dossiers, February 5, 2008
- Research Projects, January 29, 2008
- Interactive Teaching Activities, March 7, 2007
- Understanding the Learner, April 19, 2007
- Teaching Dossiers, June 21, 2007
- Course Design, July 24, 2007
- From Presenting to Lecturing: Moving From Telling to Teaching, May 9, 2006
- Critical Thinking, February 16, 2006
- Assignment Design, November 16, 2005
Graduate Studies 902
There are two components to GS 902: creation of a teaching dossier, and an independent pedagogical research project on a topic of choice. For the latter, I presented work I researched on grade inflation at post-secondary institutions, as part of a 45 minute interactive workshop in the Spring 2008 semester.
Graduate Studies 903
This course consists of three teaching observations of my teaching by a CTE Teaching Assistant Developer. Each observation is followed by a post-observation meeting, during which I receive an observation report. I wrote response papers for each observation.